With recent changes to the law, we have had a lot of inquiry regarding the recent changes to the Overseas Investment Act 2005, and whether clients are eligible to buy a home in New Zealand. The rules can be confusing, particularly if you are not a New Zealand Citizen. Since 22 October 2018, anyone purchasing land in New Zealand is required to complete a Residential Land Statement relating to whether the transaction requires consent before they can proceed.

An area of confusion is if you are not a New Zealand citizen but are in a relationship with a New Zealand citizen. In most cases, the answer will usually be yes and you will be able to purchase a home. However, we need to temper that by saying that your relationship will almost certainly need to be a qualifying relationship as defined by New Zealand law. This is because there is an exemption if your spouse or partner is a New Zealand Citizen or ordinarily resident in New Zealand – no consent is required.

You can also purchase land in New Zealand if you are ordinarily resident in New Zealand yourself (have a residence class visa and have been living in New Zealand the last 12 months and are a tax resident – have been in New Zealand for 183 days in the last 12 months and tax residency has not stopped).

If you are unsure about your eligibility to purchase a home, feel free to contact your conveyancing lawyer to discuss your eligibility.

This Post Has Been Viewed 76 Times